Thursday, March 5, 2009

.what.a.week.

I am very thankful that tomorrow is Friday because that means this week is nearly over!  This was not my favorite week. 

Tuesday, we went for our normal monthly doctor's appointment.  The difference with this appointment was the sugar test!  I was really dreading it.  The test was actually just a "screening" to see if you need the actual Gestational Diabetes test.  Gestational Diabetes is pretty common, but could cause complications.  I had a feeling I wasn't going to pass this screening.  I had basically prepared myself to not pass it - which I thought was no big deal.  A lot of people do not pass the screening part.  I had to drink a "sucrose" drink an hour before my appointment, which was totally NOT TASTY! I didn't have to fast or anything - which was good.  I had told myself I would do good with my eating the day before though, but that didn't happen!  I had a piece of King Cake and even some jelly beans that night.  I was told this wouldn't effect my screening test the next morning.  Anyway, long story short I did not pass the screening test.  I even told the nurse who was taking my blood that I would fail.  I did!  My sugar was 165 (wasn't suppose to be over 145).  I was fine with it.  They told me what I had to do, which was go to St. Dominic's hospital (their lab) and have the actual Gestational Diabetes test.  This involved fasting after midnight the day before, then getting your blood drawn every hour for 3 hours.  I was really concerned the more I thought about it.  I even lost is when I saw my doctor because I became really upset!  I mean diabetes is not a big deal, but I just wasn't ready for it.  It's on both sides of my family so I thought Gestational Diabetes meant a true diabetes later in life for me - which I will still probably have it one day.  Everything else went well at the doctor.  I don't even know what all went on.  I just know I didn't pass my screening AND I gained another 7 pounds!

So, because I was so upset, I decide to have the gestational diabetes test done the next day (Wednesday)!  I got to St. Dominic's at 7 a.m.  That, in itself, was not easy.  That's the first time I'd really been in the "hospital" part since mom was there.  Horrible memories flooded my mind.  I was just wishing she was with me!  She would have normally gone with me for something like this, but I was all by myself.  I mean I was going to be there for four hours - no one would have sat with me that long but mama.  Anyway, my blood was taken 4 times!!  Arms are still black and blue!!  After the first draw, the tech taking my blood informed me that I wouldn't have to drink the "sucrose" drink again if my sugar level was below 110.  Well, a few minutes later - I have to drink it!  I freaked out!  I just knew at that moment I had it.  

Long story short - I waited and waited for the phone call from the doc!  Finally today she calls me right before lunch.  NO GESTATIONAL DIABETES!  My labs look good she said.  What a relief!  Not sure what that tech was talking about b/c my fasting sugar level was only 79.  I was so happy!  I went to Chickfila with my coworkers and DID NOT get a salad! :)

I basically worried about that test all week long so I am ready for the weekend!  I have scheduled our 4D sonogram for next Wednesday! I am so excited.  I want to see what she looks like!!  I will post pics as soon as I get them.  As for now, my belly is just growing by the minute.  Check out my next pics below of me at 25 weeks. . . . 



1 comment:

Julie said...

Look at you!!! You look great. I am so glad you did not have Gestational Diabetes! For the record, I will come sit with you for four hours if you need me to!